Palazzo Mocenigo

In the “Contrada di S. Samuele” was born the partition of the patrician Mocenigo family in the “Casa Vecchia” and the “Casa Nuova”. The first of the two branches was so named because, through the family divisions, it was the sole owner of the oldest of the four Mocenigo houses on the Grand Canal, the last one on the left. This building, despite being rebuilt in the style of Longhena, still retains some indications of its great age in its interior. The second branch assumed the title of “Casa Nuova” because their home was the last palazzo on the right, which there is good reason to believe was built after 1454. It was then rebuilt following the style of Vittoria. To this branch of the family also belonged the two palazzi in the centre. In 1788, when Alvise Mocenigo became Procuratore of St. Mark, the three “Casa Nuova a San Samuele” Mocenigo palazzi were made to communicate with each other, thus giving access to a good forty magnificently appointed chambers. In one of these buildings lived Anne of Shrewsbury, the wife of Thomas, Count of Arundel and Marshall of England, and in 1622 Antonio Foscarini was comdemned to death because, since he visited this house quite regularly (several other foreign officials also lived there) it was thought that he was divulging State secrets; he always protested his innocence. In the same building lived Lady Mary Wortley and also Lord Byron, who kept company with the beautiful Margherita Cogni, a baker’s wife. He composed the first verses of “Don Juan”, “Beppo”, a part of the tragedy “Marin Faliero”, “Sardanapalo” and the “Visions of Judgement” here. Another resident was the poet Thomas Moore.

Error thrown

Call to undefined function mysql_real_escape_string()