Chiesa di San Polo

The doges Pietro and Giovanni Tradonico founded the Church of S. Paolo, vulgarly called “S. Polo”, in 837. It is not known if this ancient church has ever been renovated or restored over the centuries, and it is perhaps because of this that certain writers attribute its foundation to various families which probably only restored it. It was given its present form in 1805 by David Rossi; the work was finished in 1838 and it was consecrated not long afterwards by the patriarch Monico. The bell tower was finished by Filippo Dandolo, and on top of it can be seen two lions, one with a snake around its neck and the other with a severed human head between its paws, according to some an allusion to the punishment meted out to Marino Faliero. The church of “S. Polo” was a parish church from very early times, but in 1810 it was made into a branch of di S. M. Gloriosa dei Frari. It contains works by Jacopo Tintoretto, Vittoria, Veronese, Palma the Younger and the splendid Stations of the Cross by Gian Domenico Tiepolo, which can be seen in the sacresty.

Error thrown

Call to undefined function mysql_real_escape_string()