Chiesa degli Scalzi

Designed by Baldassare Longhena, with a facade by Giuseppe Sardi. It was built between 1660 and the beginning of the 18th century and was enriched by an image which came from the Lazzaretto Vecchio, at that time also called the Island of St. Mary of Nazareth, and was consecrated with this name in 1705. The Institute of the Barefoot Carmelites was established in Venice for the first time in 1633 through the work of father Agatangelo of Jesus and Mary, who with a companion rented a house in S. Girolamo. In 1635 the Carmelites moved to a larger dwelling in the Giudecca, and in 1647 to the Abbey of S. Gregorio with the idea of buying it, but the cost was too high. In 1649 they built the convent and small church of S. Maria in Nazareth, named for a sacred image of the Blessed Virgin which was brought from the Island of S. Maria in Nazareth, which was later known by the corrupt name “Lazzaretto Vecchio”. Around 1656 the church was demolished to build the present one to a design by Longhena; it was consecrated in 1705. The facade is by Sardi, and the project was funded by Girolamo Cavazza. Inside was preserved the famous fresco by GB Tiepolo, “Il Trasporto della Casa di Loreto”, which was lost in the Austrian bombardment of the 27th October 1915. However, “Santa Teresa in Gloria”, an important fresco from Tiepolo’s youth and datable around 1720 – 25, was saved and is still on view today. In the second nave on the left is the tomb of Ludovico Manin, the last doge of the city. From 1853 to 1862 a radical restoration was carried out at the expense of the Austrian Government. The convent was suppressed in 1810, part of it being given over to private dwellings and part of it, that of the “Fondamenta” being sold to the private company of the “Stazione Ferroviaria”.

Error thrown

Call to undefined function mysql_real_escape_string()