Basilica di San Giorgio Maggiore

The church represents one of the principal works of Andrea Palladio, even if the work, which began in 1566, actually finished long after the death of the master. The impressive facade in the Greek style and the majestic interior make it one of the most important churches in Venice. The pictorial and sculptural decoration of the altars is very rich, by Jacopo Tintoretto, Sebastiano Ricci, Carpaccio and Campagna. Beside the convent, the seat of the Cini Foundation, is the square bell tower. The bell tower, which had its bell chamber and cuspide completely renovated in 1791 to a design by the Bolognese brother Benedetto Buratti after the collapse of 1774, has a rotating angel on the cuspide.

Some available hotels near this place