Chiesa di San Pietro di Castello

The Cathedral of Venice until 1807, when the title passed to St. Mark’s. A church dedicated to SS. Sergio and Bacco existed here from the 7th century, and it seems that it was rebuilt by Bishop Magnus in honour of St. Peter: in honour of the island it was named S. Pietro di Castello. After several reconstructions, a complete facelift was carried out based on a model by Andrea Palladio, beginning only with the creation of the facade in 1596. During the First World War the church was hit by two incendiary bombs which damaged the dome.

Some available hotels near this place